Big Meanie / Death's Head Hole Failed Exchange - 31 Jan 2009
Saturday January 31st 2009
Members present: Adrian Turner, Andrew Gilmartin, Chad B, Lauren Ellis, Thomas Blakey
Going down was good fun, to get past the squeeze at the top I put my Rack onto my short cows tail loop as not to constrict me, then I just used my weight to get through. Down at the first rebelay I faffed around for ages to get my rack back onto my main maillon. It was a nice 50 metre descent down to the bottom, encountering another rebelay and a deviation. After our 2 hr muddy excursion we came back out, this is when you realize that you are in a big hole on a single rope lol! The squeeze wasn’t too hard to get out because of some nice rigging at the pitch head, a nice long loop from the traverse meant you could put your hand jammer onto it to not get constricted and to haul yourself out. It was certainly a case of move up a little...than take a few minutes to have a breather...then move a little more.
The change was cold!!! The wind was up in the Leck Fell area before we went into the cave, after it was blowing a gale! Absolutely no feeling in my hand during that change!
Would love to go back and do the full trip – I have unfinished business with this cave!
Other YUCPC reports on Big Meanie
- Death's Head Hole - Big Meanie: The Full Story by Livvy Golby-kirk
- Death's Head Hole - Big Meanie by Joshua Young
- Big Meanie - Death's Head Hole - 27th Feb 2010 by Chad B
- Big Meanie / Death's Head Hole Failed Exchange - 31 Jan 2009 by Lauren Ellis
- Big Meanie / Death's Head Hole - 11 Feb 2007 by Matt Ewles
- Big Meanie / Death's Head Hole - 11 Feb 2007 by Chris Ward