Titan Shaft - 19th Jun 2010
Saturday June 19th 2010
Members present: Christopher Jones, Karim Shokraee, Mike Rippon, Sam Briscoe
First impressions was Mike beckoning me to the edge as I was second in then shouting "HELLO!" and hearing it echo around the whole chamber for 10 seconds. Incredible!
Then the abseil.....it just goes on and on and on. Then you hit the all familiar event horizon that you see in a lot of the pictures.
We went for a wander down the bottom of western route but given most of us had little sleep the night before we decided not to push on through some of the tighter bits and instead waited it out in a chamber while Sam and Chris made their way out.
I had some pretty interesting times messing about with sensory deprivation stuff when mike left me for a bit as he popped out to check on progress. strange stuff.
The exit certainly isn't to be underestimated. I took my time going up the first pitch. Once I hit the event horizon I just put the foot to the floor and powered it out as I'd had enough of dangling in a massive chamber :P The final exit pitch was deceptive in size due to the manhole style construction. Having said that I got up it without flinching, a massive grin on my face as I'd just completed a cave I'd been thinking about for a long while. Fantastic feeling.
The four of us got out within 3 hours to be greeted by the fantastic countryside in the warm and a field full of cows (and a dead lamb with rigor mortis :P)
3 hardcore due to long bits of rope. Would go again without question!
Other YUCPC reports on Titan Shaft
- Titan Shaft -Venture to speedwell streamway by Paulina Poterlowicz
- JH Over-Engine Mine - Titan Shaft - 11/06/2011 by Toby Buxton
- Titan Shaft - 6th Mar 2010 by Chad B
- Titan Shaft - Peak Cavern - 30th May 2009 by Kevin Francis
- Titan Shaft - Peak Cavern - 30th May 2009 by Chad B
- Titan Shaft - 14 Feb 2009 by Imogen Shepherd
- Titan Shaft / Peak Cavern - 09 Mar 2008 by Adam Wilkinson
- JH Over-Engine Mine / Titan Shaft - 17 Jun 2006 by Matt Ewles
- JH Over-Engine Mine / Titan Shaft - 17 Jun 2006 by James Gregory
- JH Over-Engine Mine / Titan Shaft - 17 Jun 2006 by Adrian Turner