Lancaster Hole to Maracaibo inlet - 25th May 2009
Monday May 25th 2009
Members present: Andy Tricklebank, Matt Hobby, Nicola Gover, Richard Gover
We set off for Lancaster with Andy carrying a umbrella to shield his glowing red neck and looking very special (luckily there was noone to see us!). He then proceeded to rig by getting Matt to do the start for him then faffing around until rich took over. Old age dementia setting in i think. Very warm outside so i was very happy to get into the cool!
A quick stomp down Kath's way and Fall pot and we were in the main drain. Really nice to do pretty much all of this. Its a very fine streamway indeed! After a quick wee stop we found the obscure hole on to Maracaibo. Maracaibo is mainly a small straight rift, with Bloody Thigh passage at the start (no bleeding this time though :-)) and various tight bits and squeezes along the way (I lose track). We made matt go first, who wimpered at the tight bits until we forced him through (its character building!). Lots and lots of pretty stuff down here which its very hard to avoid. We eventually got to a bit where we'd have to climb up and squeeze very carefully past a very white stal, which turned out to be quite hard so as this was virtually at the end we decided to call it quits and head out before breaking anything!
Nice quick exit and out to sunshine, although the dark clouds were massing! Got changed before the rain started and headed back to bernie's which was unfortunately shut. Off to Bodrum's for about half 5. Earliest ever i think! They now give you wooden platters for your pizza instead of wasting boxes. Very civilised! Back in York super early but really quite tired and battered! My elbows and knees still hurt!
All in all a good trip, hard but short and very pretty. Don't go twice though as its too easy to break stuff.
Other YUCPC reports on Lancaster Hole
- Lancaster Hole - Mistral Hole - A nightmare about lost descriptions by Jean-luc Heath
- Lancaster Hole - Wretched Rabbit by Alistair Rollinson
- Lancaster Hole - Cow Pot by Adam Hughes
- Top Sink - Lancaster Hole by Catherine Moody
- Top Sink - Lancaster Hole by James Gregory
- Lancaster Hole to Cape Kennedy - 12th Feb 2011 by Jonathan Booth
- Lancaster Hole - Pippikin Pot - 20th Feb 2010 by Nicola Gover
- Lancaster Hole - 23rd Jan 2010 by Sam Briscoe
- Lancaster Hole - 24th Jan 2010 by Catherine Moody
- Lancaster Hole - 23rd Jan 2010 by Nicola Gover