Ireby Fell Cavern - 27th Nov 2010
Saturday November 27th 2010
Members present: Adam Wilkinson, Adam Walmsley, Caitlin Brumby, Chad B, Kevin Francis, Laura Bennett, Toby Buxton
Our original plan had been for Marble Steps, but a group of 9 already in the cave put an end to that plan. Instead we reshuffled ropes and headed across the frozen ground for Ireby. We had split into 2 teams, to allow Chad time to rig, reaching the cave at around 1pm. When we got to the first traverse we found 2 ropes already in place. Chad raced ahead rigging, got to maybe the second or third pitch and found that one of the sets of rope was being used by another club for rescue practice. On a CHECC weekend. Great idea guys! The 4 of us that had descended to catch up with Chad now prussicked back up to the traverse and Chad swung into the window and carried on down the Shadow route, which also already had another rope down it! The other 4 were just catching up with us at this point and assumed everything was okay. We had got away with all the faff!
The trip was pretty simple from there on and we were at the Ireby 2 ropes for around 4. I'd forgotten (or hadn't reached?) Duke Street on my only previous Ireby trip and I was suitably impressed with all the passage leading to it. Adam pointed out the Rift connection, a trip he had done previously. Heading out was pretty quick too, I think I was sat by the entrance talking to Jess for around 5.30.
Walking back to the cars was fun and slightly tricky in the snow. That route could do with more reflective markers as when the ground is completely white it is easy to lose the path!! We were all out for 7ish and getting changed in -7 degree weather! Our suits and metal work all froze up on the walk back to the car. To warm ourselves up we drove on to the Gamecock for fire and big meals. Ace. From there on the night becomes a bit blurry...
(Just noticed... haha at Jess from SUSS!)
Other YUCPC reports on Ireby Fell Cavern
- Ireby Fell Cavern (a water-based turnaround) by Livvy Golby-kirk
- Ireby Fell Cavern by Catherine Moody
- Ireby Fell Cavern Cripple Creek Round Trip by Vicky Bailey
- Ireby Fell Cavern by Adam Walmsley
- Ireby Fell Cavern round trip by Adam Walmsley
- Ireby Fell Cavern by Adam Hughes
- Ireby Fell Cavern down Ding, Dong, Bell, Pussy by Sophie Hentschel
- Ireby Fell Cavern - 20th Feb 2010 by Karim Shokraee
- Ireby Fell Cavern - 20th Feb 2010 by Matt Gosling
- Ireby Fell Cavern - 14th Feb 2010 by Chad B