Ireby Fell Cavern (a water-based turnaround)
Saturday January 18th 2020
Members present: Bronte Cunningham, Christopher Edgar, Jasmine Potts, Livvy Golby-kirk, Oliver Forbes-shaw
We wandered up the fell and into the cave, where I rushed ahead to start rigging. I was slightly confused if I'd gone the wrong way, because I was greeted by an enormous, churning, and very violent waterfall rushing down the first climb to Ding pitch which I'd never seen before. It was a raging torrent that covered the climb entirely; you had to go through it fully to be able to even see the first pitch. Chris and I knew then that it was time to turn around as we had two freshers with us and we weren't going to dangerously subject them to multiple waterfall prussiks.
But my curiosity got the better of me, so as Chris went back to tell the others we had to turn around I rigged the handline and attempted to pass through the water. So I manoeuvred on up to it and put an arm out in front of me to test the force, and it really frickin' hurt. From this position I could see through the spray that Ding pitch had a torrent of water cascading down it, and I realised that even without freshers, it was unsafe for anyone to attempt to prussik up it. So I took my needlessly soggy oversuit and me back out the cave, and we had a little chat about where on earth we should cave next.
I think it's confirmation that this new hydrology means serious business and Ireby definitely needs long periods of dry weather now in order to be safely attempted.
Other YUCPC reports on Ireby Fell Cavern
- Ireby Fell Cavern -Duke Street II by Paulina Poterlowicz
- Ireby Fell Cavern by Catherine Moody
- Ireby Fell Cavern Cripple Creek Round Trip by Vicky Bailey
- Ireby Fell Cavern by Adam Walmsley
- Ireby Fell Cavern round trip by Adam Walmsley
- Ireby Fell Cavern by Adam Hughes
- Ireby Fell Cavern down Ding, Dong, Bell, Pussy by Sophie Hentschel
- Ireby Fell Cavern - 27th Nov 2010 by Kevin Francis
- Ireby Fell Cavern - 20th Feb 2010 by Karim Shokraee
- Ireby Fell Cavern - 20th Feb 2010 by Matt Gosling